Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Dive In

This is probably my most favorite time of year. This is not to say that I do not enjoy the Springtime or the Summer, but it is the time of year when one typically sees the greatest deal of change. The change from Summer to Fall is usually the most sudden in contrast to the Springtime, and causes our patterns of behavior to adapt and change as well. It is that time of year where the tree's leaves start their dramatic shift to yellows, oranges, and crimson reds. All before dropping to the grass in a great big heap on the lawn. I have been watching the maple tree behind my house shift to this new stage. It has taken months, leading up to this, for the tree to begin its dramatic decent into dormancy. We too make the change by donning heavier coats and preparing for the breezy winds.

The tree came out of dormancy in the Spring by rapidly shooting out leaf buds in quick succession. Thus taking advantage of the changing light and continuous sunshine to build up it's depleted energy reserves. It needs to do this in order for the tree to survive the year and the harsh, cold winters. It is like the tree is packing on the pounds to prepare for the four months of winter (This is not to say that we should do the same). The tree's leaves use the Chlorophyll (color pigment) to synthesize the light during photosynthesis, and build up glucose (sugar) for storage. If the tree does not make enough sugar, the tree will shut down and die. But what causes the color change in the leaves you may ask? Well, it is the breakdown of Chlorophyll A that causes Chlorophyll B and C to show up as yellow, orange, and red. Chlorophyll A masks the other pigment colors and so you typically see only green during the Spring and Summer.

As we transition into a new season, whether it be spiritual, emotional, or physical, we need those preparation times to build us up for the road ahead. We need those times in our lives where we are confronted with disappointments, rejection, and discomfort. Not because we want it, but because it makes us better as a whole. I have learned some of my greatest lessons when I faced the greatest hardship. I have gotten the greatest good from a situation that should have knocked me down flat. Like the movie Rocky, when you are down for the count, that it when you get up and dust yourself off and get back into the ring. We need those moments to remind us of not only our humanness but of our humanity. I am grateful for the support of family and friends that lift me up when I'm flat. I praise God for the peace that they bring into my life. Your family and friends are like the sugar in your soul, which sustains and strengthens you when you need it the most.

The greatest thing about the changing of the seasons is that you don't have to do it alone. You don't have to be a trailblazer or a maverick. You already have someone in your life who has already made that difficult journey for you. It is your Lord and Savior who gave it all for you so that you could be free. Free from everything that holds you back, but still gives you everlasting grace that lifts you up. "Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me (John 15:4)."

So lets fall into Fall, drop our leaves, and rejoice in the change that is coming. I'm ready. Are you?

No comments: