Friday, March 27, 2009

Getting Outside



Lake Lowell Sunset

I love all of the sunshine that we have been getting lately. The clear blue skies. The hint of Spring in the air as the green buds on the trees start to bud out. The brown grass is turning a brilliant shade of emerald green.

My wife has been trying to convince me all week to get outside and go take some photographs. I have been reluctant to do so since it has been so cold outside, even though the sun is out, and the cold wind has been blowing. The wind chill factor makes it feel 20 degrees cooler. As a photographer, even with gloves on, my hands feel like they start to cramp up around the lens and the body of the camera. When shooting landscape and wildlife photography, I like my hands to be as flexible as possible and to feel loose and free around the camera. With gloves on it feels very restricting.

Yesterday I agreed to layer up and go out in the evening to take some photographs around Lake Lowell. I wanted to go to the visitors center, but they closed their gates at 4 pm and by the time that I got there it was close to 7 pm. I ended up hiking down the road to the visitors center and walking around the nature trail. It was amazing to see all of the wildlife that was out just before sunset. There were bird calls all around me. Quail running across the lawn and fluttering into the brush. Deer strolling by the lakeside. Rabbitts were out of the brush and sitting in the open. I had a great time out at Lake Lowell and I am planning future trips out there again.

Get out there and explore this beautiful world that God is sharing with us. Remember to be prepared to get a little cold and bundle up.


Sage Grass

Oak Sunset



No comments: